This dish got us and thousands of our customers hooked on wild mushrooms. Any variation on cream sauce will do nicely to showcase the mushrooms. Just keep the seasoning simple and don’t rush the cook time. The slower and lazier the mushrooms cook the more mushroom goodness you will enjoy.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
- 20g Untamed Feast Wild Mushrooms
- 1 C water
- 1/3 C bacon, finely diced
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 C onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- 2 TBSP aged cheddar (optional)
- 3 TBSP white wine
- 2/3 C cream
- 2 tsp flour or cornstarch + 1/3 C cold water (optional)
- Soak mushrooms in water for 5-20 minutes (depending on which kind you are using). Give them a pinch with your finger, when they are plump they are ready.
- Sauté the bacon. Add onions, garlic, and butter (if needed). Sauté until golden.
- Add chopped, rehydrated mushrooms (save the soaking water) and sauté for 5 ish mins until golden.
- Add the wine, salt & pepper. Simmer on medium heat for 5 mins, stirring now and again.
- Add most of the soaking water, reduce on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Prepare pasta, meat, or fish.
- Combine flour (or cornstarch), cold water, cream and whisk well. Stir into sauce.
- Add the cheese. Simmer for 5-10 mins until desired sauciness is reached. (if you left out the flour in step 7, you’ll need to simmer longer).
- Cover your pasta, chicken, halibut or what have you with the sauce. Give thanks and savour.