This recipe is Cooking With Dried Wild Mushrooms 101. Essentially the start of every recipe as well. Whether you are topping of a steak (video below) , dressing up some kale, or adding some fancy to your grains when working with dried wild mushrooms you almost always Soak – Chop – Fry.
Prep time: 5-10 mins
Cook time: 15 -30 mins
Yields: 2-6 servings
- 20g Untamed Feast Wild Mushrooms
- 1 C water for rehydration
- 2 TBSP butter or olive oil, or a combination of both
- 1/2 C onion, diced
- 1/4 C of dry white wine
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place mushrooms in a bowl and cover with water. When they are soft, chop them fine.
- Heat butter / oil in a large pan.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms until golden. Take your time here. This is where you are going to get the most flavour out of your mushrooms.
- Add wine to deglaze the pan (optional, but always a nice touch).
- Add soaking water, salt & pepper to taste, and simmer to reduce liquid.
- Finish off with one of the following:
- stir them into wild rice, quinoa or other cooked grains
- top off steak, chicken, lamb or fish
- serve them over toast, pizza, or polenta
- add them to your favourite sauces and soups
- upgrade your eggs, potatoes, and pasta ‘
- or simply add kale, broccoli, or spinach to the cooked mushrooms and sauté a little longer.